Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A summer of Fun!

How many have The Old Man on their tick list?

Almost 2 years ago I took this photo of the Old Man through the clouds, it was an amazing day and I was more than a little sad that I had to stay behind and film from the headland. I was one half of the support crew for The Hard Rock Challenge, which saw Rich Mayfield and Mark Stevenson climb all 60 routes in the Ken Wilson book Hard Rock.

Simon had expressed a desire to climb the route the night before, one small problem we only had 2 helmets, a quick dash around the campsite found a nice bike helmet that would do the job. Taking the ferry in the mist was an amazing thing to do and the walk across to the top of the cliffs, seeing the Old Man rise up in front of us was a site I will never forget. After 40 minutes of climbing we had a break in the cloud and I started filming.

After a 2 year break we now have plans to return. We will be spending two weeks on the islands, taking in the amazing sites and hopefully I will get my chance to climb the amazing route, not wearing a bike helmet I must add!

Anyone care to join us?

Summer Diary Dates and Venues

Portland
Sport Improvers £300 24th April
3 days
Pembroke Intro to Rock £300 8th May
3 days
Lands End & Sennen Intro to Trad £450 4th July
5 days
Dartmoor Granite Intro to Trad £450 18th July
5 days
Residential Youth Week The Mill Devon £200 9th Aug
4 days

"Lands End Long Climb" - a great easy day out!

Rich held a 3 days Improvers at Portland in December (yes it was warm enough!) and here are a few words from Ben about how he found the course useful :-

Hi Rich

I thought you might like to know that I´ve really taken on board all the tips you imparted during the coaching weekend I had with you in Portland in December.

I´ve managed to put it all to good use and in the last few weeks at Brean Down, I´ve climbing a 6a+ onsight and repointed 2 6b+s and a 6c!

The most important lesson was the methodical and structured approach to preparing for each climb. It´s now second nature and really helps me to get in the right frame of mind.

Anyway. I though you would like to know that your coaching appears to have worked wonders! Thank Ben Browne.


Rich is also available for one to one guiding throughout the summer if the above dates dont work for you, email us for more information sam@theorangehouse.net

Residential Youth Week, second year

Last summer we held a Youth Week at The Mill in Devon for under 18´s, the week was great fun and everyone gain loads of great advice from Gaz Parry and Rich Mayfield. Full board accommodation, climbing and bouldering and free entry to The Hard Rock Festival at the end of the week. Places are limited so please get in touch to guarantee a place.

Everyone about to set their first boulder problem.

No comments: